Lesson 6: What’s New on VisionAware
Name(s) of students(s):
Age and grade level:
Goal or objective from IEP connected to lesson:
After completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
- State two reasons why it is important to have knowledge of, and use resources to, stay up to date about technology and trends as an employed adult.
- Utilize the search function of the VisionAware website to locate information about a topic of interest.
Materials needed: Note taking device, Internet access, and personal resource file
Discussion: Be in the Know!
“As an employed adult striving to maintain independence, it will be your responsibility to stay abreast of new technology and information that can improve your performance at work. Consider the efficiency tools you currently use to access electronic and printed information and to produce printed information. If you’re still using the same tools 10 years from now, you may not be using the tools that would allow you to be most productive at work. Not only is your professional growth important, but so are your personal growth and emotional well being. There may be a time when you want to seek out information about a support group in your area or simply read about someone else’s journey with vision loss. VisionAware is one resource that can help you stay on top of news and information for people with visual impairments. VisionAware offers two tools that you can use to learn about new information: the first is the “New on VisionAware” column on the right hand side of the VisionAware homepage; the second is the VisionAware search function. During this lesson you will use these tools to explore the latest research trends and information that can help you stay productive as an employee and enhance your personal well being.”
Activity 1: Searching For Information
- Search the VisionAware website using the keywords “Free Currency Reader,” then find and read Progress Update: United States Accessible Currency Project for Blind and Visually Impaired Persons.
- Consider the following: Nobody from the US government is going to call you and tell you that you can get a free currency reader. It is your responsibility to stay on top of the trends and information that can have a positive impact on your independence. You will need to take the initiative to seek out information on a regular basis.
Activity 2: Start Exploring
- Navigate to the VisionAware homepage. Explore the topics in the “New on VisionAware” category, or complete a search using a keyword of your choice.
- Was it easy to find information about the topic you searched for?
- What are the advantages of searching on VisionAware versus Google?
- Sign up to be a part of the VisionAware Community to begin connecting with others.
Goal of next lesson: