Classroom for Teacher with Low Vision
Welcome to CareerConnect’s virtual classroom designed to show how to accommodate individuals who have some degree of useable vision. Although not every teacher with low vision will need or want every accommodation pictured, we are trying to show you the range of tools available that might benefit such educators. You may access the content by either clicking on the links embedded in the graphic or by selecting objects listed on the accompanying list. The links will take you to written information, videos, or web sites.
Technology That Might Be Used in a Classroom for Low Vision Teachers
- Bold-Line Paper and 20-20 Pen
- Digital Tape Recorder
- External Speakers and Headphones
- Accessibility will usually involve listening to information using some sort of speech access product on a computer. External speakers and headphones are important tools to consider in any office. The headphones allow for private listening without bothering coworkers who share the work space. There are no specialized products for the visually impaired in this category and personal preference will dictate what is used.
- File Folders
- Flexible Copy Holder
- The use of a flexible copy holder allows the employee to bring printed material to a closer working distance and saves the worker from having to bend over the desk top to see copy. The use of the flexible arm allows for the copy to be moved and adjusted for adequate lighting as well as viewing distance.
- Gooseneck Desk Lamp
- Large Display Wall Clock
- Large Print and Talking Calculators
- Large Print Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Large Print Grade Book
- Items such as large print grade books can easily be customized and made by individuals with low vision. A person can simply take a regular grade book and enlarge it with their office printer, or make their own using large font and a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
- Large Print Wall Calendar
- Wall calendars may be purchased commercially that have only critical information in large print. Usually workers with vision loss prefer a simple black and white format without decorative designs or pictures in the background as these calendars can be more easily read.
- Screen Magnification Software
- Tactile Globe
- Vertical File Holder
- Video Magnifier/CCTV